Thursday, May 14, 2009

A couple of milestones!


Today was a great day!

Timothy said the "m" sound! Leslie, Greg and I were all working with him. Leslie was moving his face into correct position and Timothy was looking at his dad so he could see what to do and he did it! We erupted into a huge cheer and Timothy was beside himself. He was smiling, laughing, squealing and jumping - we are so proud of him. He tries so hard and it really is difficult for him to do what Leslie calls "motor planning". His brain isn't wired the right way, since his mouth developed the wrong way and he's had to overcome so much. He has to do it the right way a certain number of times before his brain will be "rewired" (studies show 450 times). His upper lip has healed with scar tissue that have made it less flexible than it needs to be, so we do some massaging and work with his body to get his central nervous system primed for him to be able to learn. There are lots of brain-body connections, so interesting, I never knew.

We've gotten some equipment to help Timothy "reorganize" when he's fatigued from learning - though he doesn't seem to have any sensory issues. The P & Q in the above photo he chews on and when he's better he throws them down. The star toy vibrates and also assists with the reorganization.

The cup in the photo you'll notice has a "U" side on it to make it easier for certain SN kids to drink easier. He would drink a little, but not swallow much of it and eventually spill the entire drink on his lap. Leslie suggested using a thicker liquid - a strawberry milkshake and it worked! He drank about 3 oz. All by himself. I'm so proud of him I can't stand it. I wanted to knock on all of our neighbors' doors and say "Do you know what Timothy did today?" But I don't want them to think I'm crazy so I just called my mom and sister.

I am so lucky, truly I am. I am so grateful we have this wonderful, amazing, smart little guy.

No comments: